Wednesday, May 18, 2011

University Of Minnesota Hat

I go to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. School gear is pretty expensive, maroon and gold yarn however is not.  After trying my first stranded project in the only extra yarn I had sitting around, which happened to be maroon and gold I decided to try and make my own M chart. I spent about forty five minutes with a U of M logo a picture of grid lines and paint to make the chart. This is the third try and I think it turned out well. As soon as I finished, I showed it to my roommate who had just gotten home, she gave me this look and said 'you know there are websites that will do that for you right?' No, no I did not know that, but I think I did a good job anyways. So this chart is truly handmade and unlicensed by the U.  I did make it in maroon and gold because that's my school colors, but if you went to the University of Michigan for instance You could make the hat blue and yellow to be your school colors. Anyways, the pattern basically makes a nice warm hat with an M on it in whatever colors you want and the M can mean whatever you want.


University of Minnesota Hat
Size 6  circular needles
Worsted weight yarn 2 colors (maroon and gold)
Stitch markers
Using contrast color cast on 112 stitches. Knit one round k2 p2. Using main color knit 9 rounds of k2 p2.  Knit 8 rounds . Start chart. A word of warning in knitting the chart, make sure you leave your yarn loose enough when you switch colors or your hat will kinda bunch up. Mine looks a little crinkly, but it smooths out when you put it on. Place stitch markers inbetween repeats of the chart. Knit 3 rounds












Shape crown:
Round 1: [K14, K2Tog] 7 times= 105 sts
Round 2: Knit
Round 3: [K13, K2Tog] 7 times= 98 sts
Round 4: Knit
Round 5: [K12, K2Tog] 7 times= 91 sts
Round 6: Knit
Round 7: [K11, K2Tog] 7 times= 84 sts
Round 8: Knit
Round 9: [K10, K2Tog] 7 times= 77 sts
Round 10: Knit
Round 11: [K9, K2Tog] 7 times = 70 sts
Round 12: Knit
Round 13: [K8, K2Tog] 7 times= 63 sts
Round 14: [K7, K2Tog] 7 times= 56 sts
Round 15: [K6, K2Tog] 7 times= 49 sts
Round 16: [K5, K2Tog] 7 times= 42 sts
Round 17: [K4, K2Tog] 7 times= 35 sts
Round 18: [K3, K2Tog] 7 times= 28 sts
Round 19: [K2, K2Tog] 7 times= 21 sts
Round 20: [K1, K2Tog] 7 times= 14 sts
Round 21: [K2Tog] 7 times= 7 sts
Cut a long tail, draw it through the remaining sts to close top of hat. Bring tail to the wrong side and weave in your ends.

1 comment: